Home  Directors |  Meeting Minutes Membership |  Projects  BBQ |  Neighbourhood Plan |  About Us |  Businesses   | Contact Us 

  

"Future of Carr's Landing"

CARRS LANDING

SECTOR PLANNING WORKSHOPS

 

MINUTES OF THE CARRS LANDING SECTOR PLANNING

WORKSHOP #4 (Maki, Wentworth, Schaad, Toby, Carbonneau, Gable Whiskey Cove

Commonage, 13500+ Carrs Landing Rd)

 

                                                               DATE:         November 6, 2003

                                                                TIME:         7:00 PM - 10 PM

                                                      LOCATION:        Camp Arbuckle

 

         IN ATTENDANCE: Joanne Devries- Facilitator          

         Chuck Price                                                      Frits Bakker                 

         Stan Brynjolfson                                                Larry Foster Community Planner

         Lance Marshall                                                 Frank Toplak

         Margaret  Price                                                 Flo                                            Mark Decker (absent)

 

PUBLIC IN ATTENDANCE:  ~     26

 

RECORDING SECRETARY:  Liisa Cook, Platinum Personnel

 

 

1.      CALL TO ORDER          7:05pm  Joanne Devries, Meeting Facilitator.

Joanne lives in Lake Country but not in the Carrs Landing area.

Joanne introduced the Sector Planning members and asked that when the public in attendance begin giving their comments that they first give their name and speak clearly, as these meetings are being recorded as accurately as possible.

 

Sector Committee Contact information:

            Parks & Recreation – Mark Decker, mark_d@telus.net

 

            Environment – Stan Bynjolfson, brynjolfson@cablelan.net

 

            Infrastructure – Frits Bakker, 766-1371, fbakker@cablelan.net

 

            Land-Use – Chuck Price, 766-4445, crprice@quailcrossing.ca

 

            Carrs Landing Community & Recreation Assoc.

-          Noreen Malmkvist, 766-4459, nmalmkvist@cablelan.net

-          Lance Marshall, 766-3922, lance@lancemarshall.com

 

2.      REVIEW OF AGENDA   Joanne reviewed how the meeting would be conducted. A member of each focus group: Parks & Recreation, Environment, Infrastructure and Land-Use will give a presentation with open discussion time following. The handout was available for everyone to use for jotting down notes as the presentations are underway. A Comment Form was handed out for attendees to fill out with any further comments and handed back to Joanne at the end of the workshop.

 

The process began with the strategic plan and a simple questionnaire went out to the Carrs Landing residents. The Planning Hierarchy includes 1) The Strategic Plan, 2) Official Community Plan, 3) Sector Plan, 4) Neighbourhood Plan, 5) Zoning Bylaw, and 6) Supporting Plans/Bylaws.

 

SECTOR PLANNING OBJECTIVES

·         Meet statutory requirements as an amendment to the OCP and be based on the policies of the existing OCP

·         Reflect broad community involvement and support.

·         Be easy to read, understand and use on a daily basis at Municipal Hall

·         Have policies that are fiscally responsible, technically feasible and legally enforceable.

·         Be completed on time and within budget.

·         Have the endorsement of Council and DLC staff.

 

The Carr’s Landing Sector Plan: Process and Timeline is at about the half way point of this process. The next step after the four Sector Planning Workshops is to gather the information about the issues and components and present these issues to the Council and the public.  A draft Sector Plan will be prepared for review from December 2003 / March 2004. Following will be another Community Survey, conducted in March 2004, which will be much more detailed and more specific than the first survey conducted in 2002.  The draft Sector Plan will be presented to the public at an Open House in March of 2004. April 2004 the draft Sector Plan will be revised to reflect the public input at the Open House and will be fine-tuned until the public can condone the plan. May 2004 a revised draft of the Sector Plan will be presented to Council and they will work together with the DLC staff to fine-tune the Sector Plan. Finally in June 2004 the proposed Sector Plan will be presented at a Public Hearing.

 

Joanne congratulated all the people involved with this process and their commitment to this plan

 

CONSULTATION MODEL

·         “Complete” and “progressive” consultation

-“ Complete” consultation includes opportunities for qualitative and quantitative input and review

o        Qualitative processes (focus groups and open houses) identify broad-based issues through discussions with small groups of people.

o        Quantitative processes (mail-in surveys) validate information gathered during qualitative processes.

-“Progressive” consultation uses the broad-based information gathered during qualitative process to craft more specific and meaningful questions for quantitative review.

 

CONSULTATION TOOLS     

1.             Community survey #1

2.             Ongoing focus groups

3.             Neighbourhood workshops

4.             Community survey #2

5.             First Nations liaison

6.             Open House

7.             Public Hearing

 

COMMUNITY SURVEY #1

         1) What do you like about your community? (In order of priority)

a)      Rural and natural

b)      Quiet and peaceful

c)      Neighbourly and friendly

d)      Scenic beauty

e)      Close to amenities

f)       Wildlife

g)      Lake

h)      Low density/open and spacious

 

         2) What existing land uses, services or issues presently concern you?

a)      Roads, CLR deterioration, road ends

b)      Lack of planned development, development proposals

c)      High-density growth.

d)      Water quality, safety

e)      Environmental damage

f)       Lack of water

g)      Safety of CLR, speed

 

         3) What types of new land uses, activities or services would you like to see in your community?

a)      Recreation, green space, walk/bike

b)      Low-density, rural

c)      Carrs Landing village store, restaurant, recreation centre

d)      Public lakeshore access

e)      Roads

f)       Leave same

g)      Community-directed planning

 

         4) How would you like to see your community look in 10 years and grow for your children and

  Grandchildren?

a)      Low-density, rural, family residences

b)      Recreation, green space, walks, bikes

c)      Leave same

d)      Roads

e)      Public lakeshore access

f)       Community-directed planning

g)      CL village store, restaurant, community centre

h)      Environmental protection

 

CARR’S LANDING RESIDENTS WANT:

Ø      Rural and natural area

Ø      Low-density development

Ø      Community-directed planning

Ø      Expanded amenities

Ø      Green space with associated recreational opportunities

Ø      Quality water

Ø      Good roads

Ø      Lakeshore access

 

KEY SECTOR PLANNING ISSUES Focus groups developed for these four key sector issues.

§         Parks & Recreation

§         Environment

§         Infrastructure

§         Land-Use

 

CONSULTATION TOOL #3

·         Focus Groups

                  - Who participates in the focus groups?

                  - Community volunteers

·         How often do they meet?

                  - Once monthly

·         What are the objectives of the focus groups?

                  - To gather information about community issues

                  - To gather residents’ input about the issues

                  - To prioritize the issues and make recommendations to Council

 

Joanne showed an Issue Analysis Worksheet and reviewed it to show how detailed the process is. A sound plan is based on complete knowledge.

 

3.       PARKS & RECREATION PRESENTATION BY STAN BRYNJOLFSON

Mark is the Chair of the Parks & Recreation focus group.

-     Areas/issues of study identified by survey, information gathering, and focus group members

      -           Parks and facilities

      -           Road end/foreshore access development

      -           Boat launches

      -           Trails and parklands

 

1.       Parks & Facilities

- Existing facilities and how they are used

- Improvements for existing facilities

- Future requirements

- Location of future parks

 

 

2.       Road-end Development (Foreshore access to lakeshore)

- What are “road ends”?

- Preserve and maintain in the public trust

- Inventory road ends

- Categorize the inventory as to park development potential

- Link road ends to trail system

 

3.       Boat Launches

- Why is this an issue unto itself?

- Analyze the need for additional boat launch facilities

- Survey locations for suitability

- Evaluate potential sites for positive and negative impacts

- Make recommendations

 

4.       Parklands & Trails

- Where should trail corridors be established?

- How do we acquire property for trail corridors?

- Linking trails

- Multiple benefits of trail or parkland corridors

- Develop and integrated plan

 

4.       ENVIRONMENT PRESENTED BY STAN BRYNJOLFSON  

- Areas/issues of study identified by survey, information gathering, and focus group members

-           Lakeshore preservation/access

-           Wildlife conservation and corridors

-           Rural/urban mix

-           Wildland/urban interface fire hazard

-           Other

 

      OCP vs. SECTOR PLAN

·         OCP contains broad statements regarding “formulation of policies”

·         Sector Plan needs to refine some statements and ensure their relevance to our specific area.

 

OCP FEATURES

·         Environmentally Sensitive Areas (ESA) are identified in the “Natural Features Inventory” conducted by CORD

·         Besides ESA’s,  specific mention is made of:

o        Shoreline

o        Watercourses & wetlands

o        Wooded areas & forests

o        Watershed management

o        Airshed management

·         OCP Objectives

o        Protect ESA’s

o        Protect development from hazardous conditions

o        Minimize loss of life and property

o        Maintain the scenic character of the area

o        Preserve or enhance fish and wildlife habitat

o        Maintain or improve air and water quality

·         OCP Policies

o        Establish criteria for evaluating development proposals in hazardous areas

o        Regulate development adjacent to water bodies to preserve or enhance fisheries habitat

o        Establish development permits for areas of wildfire risk

o        Cooperation with other local governments and agencies including First Nations

o        Identify land in the community to identify it’s parks and environmental potential and contact the province re acquisition

 

 

 

 

1.       Lakeshore Preservation/access

- Obstruction of foreshore to wildlife by docks, fences, walls, and human activity

- Water quality degradation from runoff and septic waste leaching into the lake.

- Impact of water craft (especially power boats) on wildlife and lakeside residents

- Light pollution from increased shoreline development (dock lighting, etc.)

 

2.       Wildlife conservation and corridors

- Preserve/restore habitat and access to lakeshore

- Obstruction of wildlife corridors by agricultural and residential fencing

- Pesticide use

- Gull sanctuary

- Preserve/restore shoreline ecosystems

- Minimize “roadkill”

 

3.       Rural/urban mix

- Coexistence of agriculture/urban areas

- Agricultural Land Reserve/Right to Farm Act

- Pesticide use and other farm operations

- Air quality

- Fencing

- Noxious weed control

 

4.       Wildland/urban interface fire hazard

- Recent extreme example of Okanagan Mountain Park Fire

- Combustibility of building materials

- Design and layout of development

- control of vegetative fuels which surround structures and developments

- Fires can spread both ways

 

5.      OTHER ISSUES

-    Jurisdictional conflicts (OCP vs. provincial legislation (Right to Farm Act, Noxious Weed Control Act, Pesticide Control Act. etc.)

-    Regional, provincial and federal government policies may impinge

 

6.      SUMMARY FOR DISCUSSION

There are eight topics to cover:

-    PARKS AND RECREATION

     - Parks and facilities

     - Road-end development

     - Boat launches

     - Parklands and trails

-    ENVIRONMENT

     - Lakeshore preservation/access

     - Wildlife conservation/corridors

     - Rural/urban mix

     - Wildland/urban interface fire hazard

 

7.      DISCUSSION PARAMeTERS

Participation should be:

     - Balanced

     - Respectful

     - Positive

     - Forward-thinking

     - Concise

     - Creative

We are here to come up with positive solutions for the community as a whole. This forum is not the place to come and air your complaints. There are a lot of people and a limited amount of time so following the discussion parameters will ensure that everyone will have a chance to be heard. Everyone was asked to stick to the topic as noted in the Summary for Discussion. This brainstorming session can be a very creative time; some ideas may not seem feasible at the time but may trigger thoughts on other subjects for discussion.

 

8.      DISCUSSION TIME – Topics of Parks & Recreation and Environment

Do you feel that there are enough parks and green spaces in your neighbourhood? Other groups have wanted trails and improvements to access.

Mike: New from Ontario. Developed parks in the area are really quite good. What’s missing is a trail system. Walks end up being on Carrs Landing Road. Silly that people have to jog on the one main road through the area.

Carmen: concerned about the ability to get the land for trails. There is a 2 1/2 acre mandate. We must allocate certain parts of land going to trails. Owners would give easement and have concession.

 

How do you see a good trail or park system?

Derek: Trail system should include the beaches. There are currently lots of walls and fences stopping us from doing it.

 

Margaret: It’s a practicality issue. Some lakeshore high and some low, because of water level having trails thru there is not practical. Has anybody taken a look at the visual pollution of various kinds of docks and structures on land that’s probably not private land. We need docks but some are falling apart and others are much larger than needed.  We should look at the visual and the practicality of this. Lakeshore is very heavily bouldered. Could be problems.

 

Carmen: Ok Centre Headlies is just for OK Centre plan. Does not extend into Carrs Landing.

Joanne: Should this be extended into Carrs Landing?

Dave: Want to find out the pros and cons before getting too far into it. Staffing cost too high

Carmen: It would be off set by cost of leases.

Dave:  Meager amount. Effectively at a loss.

 

Joanne: What about boat launches? Do we need more?

Derek: Some boat launches that we have need work. Broken up, go in with a trailer the trailer gets off of the concrete block. Maintenance of the docks and launching pads should be checked.

Coral Beach primarily. End plate is a problem. Especially with sail boats. Steel pads on the end not installed properly.

Joanne: Has the number of people boat launching increased or improved?

Derek: Gable road could use improvement

Coral beach if fixed is ok but not enough parking. Must park in front of someone’s house.

Flo: Whisky cove boat launch not a good idea. Noise pollution. Low water level really shows a problem area.

Derek: It’s a dangerous place there. If you have boat launch it would be very dangerous. There are no signs to warn.

John: Are we importing more problems with more boat launches? All we are doing is attracting in more outsiders. How many people are we serving.

Carmen: We can’t access our own parks for ourselves.

 

 

Roadends

Joanne:  Should they be developed as parks and maintained by municipalities? If they are developed they would attract more people.

Terry: access could be improved to lakeshore, steep narrow paths. Not safe unless physically fit

Penny: If more access will there be looping trails. Walk to Kopje to whiskey cove looping trails.

Brent: Most used road end. Peak season people use for access to the lake, if you have a trail to use people would use instead of Carrs Landing Road.

Joanne: So do you want better signs and maintenance, better advertising about the trails so people will know?

Mike: Trail system would be developed first. Then if it works we don’t have to advertise it as much. We don’t have this system now.

 

Joann: If you could have the perfect trail system what would it look like?

Derek: Decent width.

Carmen: Wldlife corridor.

Sue: Cycling and rollerblading?

Carmen: Less use of chain link fencing. Chain link belongs in industrial sites there is too much of it here.

Penny: There is a group in lake country that promotes walking trails in Lake Country. WALC committee.

Rod: Road ends, 1st step is to let people know where they are. There is encroachment issues of the public property. Get back the public land from private.

Sue: combination to widen the road and include a cycling path , rollerblading etc.

John: Allocate a certain portion of two and half acre land to trails. Question is then the confrontation with individuals. Widen the road to allow for this cycling etc.

Jeannette: agree.  Trails along the lake would be leery of pollution etc.

 

Environment discussion:

Stan: Lakeshore access not just for human access but for wildlife as well.

 

Joanne: How do you feel about deer access?

 

Everyone agrees that deer find their way to the lake.

Dave: Deer fencing is a concern along the south end of CL Road. Deer get hung up on the fencing., usually the younger ones. Idea to have corridors between the orchards……to access the lake and road ends. Dual purpose. 10 – 15 foot setback on each orchard for wildlife and people. Get east/west corridors going and then get north/south access connected.

Carmen: Exit gates on the orchards money from the gov’t . they work well in wildlife situations .

Deer are getting constantly pushed out. Forced because of the fencing. Major problem. Deer on the roads.

Moved out here because we like the wildlife and ambience of the area.

Flo: Like wildlife corridor. Other concern is the spraying and the close proximity corridor would help.

Daryl: Quite clear in operating high density orchards.

We do not have good access for biking and walking. Widening the road being the most practical for bikes and walking. As for deer and corridors that don’t exist. How do you  improve.

Agricultural land is industrial land. Confrontation. Most of the farm community tries to be good farmers. E/W corridors. How would you do it. Creating a zone for animals and people.

Gary: Disagree, area is becoming more industrial. Told was going to live near an orchard. E/W corridor would be good but how. When spraying going on you trap people inside these corridors. Spraying is massive, the cloud would go up and down into these corridors.

 

Joanne: Rural/Urban mix. Air quality from spraying and burning being a problem. Do you have any thoughts about R/U mix how can we learn to live together?

 

Penny: Mayor Hein, did tour of agri land. One discovery was that people building close to agri land had to go thru a certain legal process to accept the conditions they were moving into .  Commonage lots are a scary prospect for her, they would all be upset at the implications of agri land. Help to stop some of the conflict.

 

Carmen:  For many years there has been protection between farm land and residential. They are far enough away to not cause any problems.

Penny: Mayor did learn a lot about this. Residents can make an informed decision.

Lance: Development end of things when there is new land available there is a buffer. New 10-15 meter or more buffer.

Penny: winds take noise and pollution up the hills.

Lance: newly created lots have new regulations

Gary: Studies have to be done individually. The prevailing wind is a determining factor.

Penny: People need to be made aware thru building permits etc.

 

Joanne: What about burning? Residential as well as orchard burning.

Rod: As a resident, orchardist burning is not an issue, here not so as much as other parts of the Okanagan. Some of the residential burning applications have to be looked at.

 

Margaret: From where she lives sees smoke especially weekends.

Derek: Burning issue has been a problem for many years. Flying from Kamloops to Kelowna smoke problem because of the forestry. Residential burning has minimal impact.

: backyard burning should be banned for residential.

Derek: Have fire pit, smoke ends up going into neighbours homes.

Gary: US have almost totally banned wood burning stoves.  We have excellent access to pellet stove manufactures.

 

Joanne: Burning issues. In your neighbourhood what do you feel is a problem?

Margaret: Great deal of land in the CL area would go up in smoke fairly quickly. Wildfire is a real concern

Penny: Talk to the schoold about discussing at the schools the fire issues.

Terry: Standing dead trees in our neighbourhood. On private property not tended to. Fire hazard. Up to the top of the ridge. Individual residential owners need to be taking care of their properties.

Carmen: Where there are absentee owners this creates a problem there isn’t anyone around to take care of.

 

Public education would be required.

 

9.      BREAK 8:20pm – 8:30pm

 

 

10.  INFRASTRUCTURE PRESENTATION BY FRITS

 

Infrastructure is the term used to identify projects or services usually handled by the public works department in a municipality.

 

Here are some of the details in the current Official Community Plan (OCP) related to infrastructure.

 

ROADS

The District recognizes that many of the District’s roads are nearing the end of their normal life and require extensive capital improvements to avoid higher maintenance costs and ultimately, complete road failure. However, the District simply cannot afford the costs outlined in the road inventory.

 

WATER SUPPLY

A clean, safe source of water is a vital community resource.  In addition to providing water for the purpose of drinking, personal and home use, it is important that there is an adequate supply for agricultural, industrial and commercial and fire protection.  Therefore, maintaining the quality and quantity of water for all uses and users should continue to be priority within the District of Lake Country

 

The district operates water systems in the region and most of them do not meet DLC fire flow requirements.

There are several small private water user groups in existence and none have the infrastructure to meet Fire flow requirements.

The objectives in the OCP as listed are:

·         To increase capacity in existing systems to meet DLC and industry standard fire flow requirements.

·         To ensure a safe and reliable domestic water supply

·         Ensure that private utility systems are constructed to meet current servicing standards

·         To identify limitations to the existing fire flow system

·         To ensure a safe and reliable agricultural water supply

 

 

Actions related to the potable water system listed are:

·         Proceed with a master water plan

·         Identifying fire suppression limitations due to inadequate fire flows

·         The DLC will assume operation of private water systems if requested. by the owner and the users

·         The DLC will allow lots larger than 4 hectares to use wells or surface water for domestic water.

 

STORM WATER DRAINAGE

The current list of objectives as per the OCP are:

·         Reduce risk to life and property from storm water drainage

·         Reduce sediment loading into water bodies

·         Direct more runoff into the ground to maintain ground water regimes

·         Maintain natural water courses in their natural state

 

SEWER SYSTEMS

The objective of the DLC is to use a variety of sewage treatment facilities and techniques to achieve a n efficient and economic system of sewage disposal

The DLC plans to upgrade the two satellite treatment facilities in the Carr’s Landing Area to Biological Nutrient Removal treatment or equivalent standards.

 

GENERAL

 The District will require developments to utilize good design practices including.

1.       Providing road and pedestrian links to adjoining properties

2.       Providing access for emergency vehicles

3.       Looping infrastructure

4.       Minimize the length of infrastructure

Designing development to fit the topography and natural features

 

When looking at issues that may affect our area we have to keep in mind that there are financial, technical and sometimes legal implications that will determine the inclusion and or completion of items recommended for the sector plan

 

Frits gave an overview of issues that have been identified to date

 

POTABLE WATER refers to drinking water.

Currently there are various systems in place that are owned by different interests, one of them operated by the province and one operated by the DLC.

It has been identified that the area could benefit from a common ownership and operator to create consistency and uniformity.

This could improve operation standards and possibly the price we pay at the tap.

 

It also has been identified that interconnecting all or some of these systems would result in a more efficient system.

 

Fireflow standards refer to the amount and duration water can be supplied to a hydrant.

We have identified that the minimum of those standards are not being met in some of the plan area.

This is a concern because it may not protect our homes and other assets. It also may affect our insurance premiums severely.

 

Lastly the long term supply and quality of water to the plan area should be ensured well into the future.

 

Sewer system

Currently no sewer systems in the plan area are connected to the lake country municipal treatment plant.

Presently there are some satellite systems in use in the area

A satellite system is where a group of homes access a common pipe to collect and dispose of the sewage in a shared septic field.

We are currently investigating if additional satellite systems in the area will be beneficial to creating a more efficient disposal of effluent and if it may establish a better standard of operation.

With the rapid development of new sewage treatment systems it is recommended that DLC stay abreast of more efficient ways of dealing with the treatment and disposal of sewage in the region.

 

Surface water drainage refers to the channeling of storm water.

It has been identified that in order for the area to be prepared for the one in ten or one in fifty year’s storm, a drainage master plan should be prepared for this area.

In order to determine what path the storm water will take in such an eventuality.  Such a plan would assist decision-making in some aspects of development and preservation of green spaces and would be quite beneficial.

This master plan should prevent unforeseen situations or worse ……calamities.

Collection ponds where polluting solids can be separated should be built to minimize pollution of lake and or drinking water supplies.

 

Roads

Carrs’ Landing Road was a popular topic on the survey.

It was identified as a major safety concern.

The district should continue to improve dangerous sections of this road wherever possible.

With Carrs’ Landing Road being the only paved artery running north south it has been identified that an additional paved road could benefit the community. Reasons being that, with the additional population and development within and outside the plan area traffic will increase.

Also in order to improve safety, an additional exit and entrance into the area would be beneficial in case of a major emergency for access by emergency personnel and evacuation of residents.

 

Additional development in the region, especially north of us, will result in changing traffic conditions and the community plan will have to reflect this.

 

Refuse

Currently a long-term agreement is in place with a private contractor and the city of Kelowna regarding collection of refuse and the use of the Glenmore landfill site.

This site has a long-term capacity for handling refuse for the region.

 

Recycling and composting should be promoted to reduce landfill quantities.

 

Emergency services

Recent fires in the region have again emphasized the need for a well-equipped and trained emergency system.

In addition to these departments being up to snuff, it is also important that the municipality, public and developers all have an awareness of how to reduce the risks and eventually losses.

It is recommended that other services such as policing, ambulance services and by law enforcement should be maintained to current or improved standards

 

Education, public transportation and social services have been identified as issues we are to look at how our plan area fits into the overall regional plan.  We are to identify if any specific issues should be included in the sector plan, in order to improve service to our area.

 

Based on meetings such as this meeting, public input, meetings with focus groups and DLC we have created an issue list to date, fully recognizing that changing conditions and/or new items not previously recognized may have to be considered.

 

-     Areas/issues of study identified by survey, information gathering, and focus group members.

      - Potable Water

                  - Standard of operations for entire area

                  - Acquire systems/maintenance and operations by DLC

                  - Link systems

                  - Ensure fire flow standards are met

                  - Ensure long-term supply                     

      - Sewer Systems

                  - Ensure quality standards of existing systems

                  - Stay abreast of new developments in industry

                  - Promote additional satellite systems

                  - Maintain system density policy

      - Storm water Drainage

                  - Need for drainage master plan

                  - Developers and private builders responsible for own drainage requirements

                  - Where possible, create holding ponds

      - Roads

                  - Ensure current transportation policy meets needs for community

                  - Improve CLR in areas of dangerous curves and narrow sections

                  - Bypass may be desired but costs may be prohibitive

                  - Access for emergency personnel

 

      - Waste Removal

                  - Continue removal of solid waste to Glenmore Landfill site

                  - Promote recycling/composting

                  - Be vigilant in discouraging local (illegal) dumping

      - Emergency Services

                  - Fire department – standards and vigilance in reducing wildland/urban-interfacing risks

                  - Policing requirements

                  - Ambulance service

                  - Local bylaw enforcement requirements and standards

      - Other Issues

                  - Education

                  - Public Transportation

                  - Social Services

- Any other????

 

 

DISCUSSION:

Widening Carrs Landing Road to accommodate pedestrian biking. Cost would be quite severe. The road does encroach on private property on sections.  Price half a million dollars for every kilometer. It is possible but expensive.

 

Carmen: Trails starting to look good again. Water, biggest fear is the private facility being sold.

 

Joanne: what are the utilities that service this area?

 

Flo: draws from the lake

: Eastside Utilities. No problems so far.

Carmen: Under the district so no problems.  Someone is looking to buy it that could change it.

 

Joanne: How would you feel about water metres?

 

Dave: where metering is being used  it has cut water usage by 30% or more.

Margaret: CL road where she lives is on district. Not very satisfactory. Silt in the water.

Gerald: Sum of money given to LC  Adequate money was not allocated for roads. Any chance that we can go back to province of BC to seek funding that should have been done at the time?

Carmen: Don’t hold your breath!

Rod: Can’t go back now.

Penny: CL is not even on the priority list. If there were any money it would not come.

Everyone does drive it far too fast. A maintained road would cause more speeding. Move deer signs because new fencing has gone in.

Certain areas worse for deer than others.

Sue: Road needs to be maintained better.

: heavy equipment and trucks already heavily using.

Hanna:  don’t put ditch so close to the side of the road. If you cut back some of the slope more land slides. Could you have a trail half way up the slope so that traffic can’t affect pedestrians.

: separate cycling walking lane but not on the same grade.

John: couple of places really dangerous. Commonage and Carrs Landing road. Submit to council and get that junction fixed. Moberly and Carrs Landing Road another bad one.

 

What could be done?

John: The corner at Commonage & CL Road has to be physically reshaped.

Carmen: that corner has been brought up a number of times. Everyone needs to get together and complain to District.  S curve just before Gable Road needs signage.

Joanne: Emergency access or escape from this area. There is only one road in and out. Barkley road extension connecting to Pow Road has been proposed. What are your feelings?

: is it cost effective instead of maintaining  Carrs Landing Road?

Carmen: CL road is a residential road. It is not a highway. And it is treated as such. Would not like to see it widened. People race on that road like crazy.

Dave: $30,000 spent on that slope cutting.. The speeding has increased again. Study done on rebuilding CLRoad 50 million to redevelop CL Road. (1998) Not a financially practical thing to do. Therefore Barkley road is considered the alternative.  Multimillion-dollar hotel facility going up towards Predator Ridge this will have an impact on CL road.

 

Penny: How many people use Barkley road, how many would use?

Frits: Most will use to paved. People with high quality cars will try to get to paved road as soon as possible.

Dave: South end of Barkley the traffic has increased substantially since the improvements were done. The people at the south end  don’t want paved road but the north end do.

Joanne: what about police presence? Speeding on CL road might improve if more of a police presence. Is there police presence for other things?

Phyllis: Police response was quick for a phone in complaint or problem. Road monitoring is very poor.

Penny: Use to have a very strong neighbourhood watch. Perhaps at a community level it could be brought into effect.

Gary: what about a private policing unit for the area. Someone who goes out and works for the district and enforces the traffic laws.

Derek: citizens watch and patrol. Just go out Fridays and Saturdays. They have no authority they still have to call police.

Gary:  Why not have some one as an auxiliary?

Joanne: not aware of that being legal in BC

 

Carmen: Sewage and septic. Make sure that municipality does move on with satellite sewage systems.

Dave: We still have a lot of old lakeshore homes that should be dealt with as a priority. We drink the lake water

Margaret: Other areas have septic fields that have to be inspected.

Dave: District requires a 3 year pumping

John: Satellite systems would make a lot of sense for this area. There seems to be some sort of objection to it for some reason. Septic system has problems further along.

 

Penny: Whiskey Cove septic. Each lot has to pump to the back of their lot. Nothing in place to check that the system is even working. No checks, no inspections. Holding tanks are very close to the lake. Inspection system must be implemented.

Rod: Where are these areas where inspections are conducted?

Margaret: one in BC one in Manitoba.

Rod: A community-launched thing then

Margaret:  occupancy is denied if your septic failed

Carmen: in Surry she has seen this fail.

Joanne: A best practice is legislation that is enforced. It is an environmental issue.

Derek; system in Germany. Sewage goes into a compressor. Squeezes all the liquid out. And the solids turned into pellets. Basically used in villages and small towns.

 

11.  LAND USE PRESENTATION BY CHUCK                  

-     Areas/issues of study identified by survey information gathering and focus group members.

                  - Rural/natural character

                  - Planned development that reflects community’s wants and needs

                  - Expanded community amenities

 

LAND-USE ZONES

-     For the Coral Beach, Terrace View, and Juniper Cove areas, zoning is based on Central Okanagan Regional District zoning and includes RU ALR, RU1, RU2, RU3, RU4, RU5, R1

 

ZONE RELATIONSHIPS

Graphic was displayed on overhead projector

 

PERMITTED LAND USE

-     Examples of Permitted RU ALR RU1 AND RU2 uses:

      - Hog, beef and mink operations

      - Poultry farms intensive green houses

      - Wineries, commercial stables

      - Portable shake and sawmills

      - Orchards, vineyards, grazing

-     The rezoning of RU ALR land is very difficult

 

PERMITTED LAND USE

-     RU 3, RU 4, RU 5 AND R 1 zones are designated as country residential

-     Agricultural activities are permitted in these zones

-     Some restrictions

      - Those of “offensive nature”

-     It is possible to change the zoning of these areas

 

LAND USE ISSUES

-     Most concerns revolve around increased residential densities

      -BUT

-     Existing permitted uses can have the same effect

 

NO SUBDIVISION OR CHANGE IN LAND USE           

-     Could result in intensive agricultural development on the large land tracts

      - Which may have high environmental and infrastructure impact

                  - 6-acre greenhouse

                  - Feedlot

                  - Gravel pit

-     Does not mean that everything will stay as it is now!

 

DEVELOPMENT DECREE

-     For higher residential density development to take place the existing lots may have to be rezoned

-     But the OCP states that any lot smaller than 1 ha (2.5 acres) must have a water and sewer utility

-     Council has taken the stand that the cost of these utilities must be borne by the users of that utility

 

 

THE FUTURE

-     Consider these statements

      - There will be future applications for development

      - Does residential development mean a major change in community look?

      - Current agricultural zoning does not necessarily mean open space populated by deer, gophers and grapes

      - Would you like to have a water and sewer utility?

      - 30% of the population in this neighborhood is 55 years and older so where do you want to live in 10 years?

      - Would you like a store, a pub, or other facility?

 

RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT OPTIONS

Graphics displayed on overhead projector.

      - Gated community

      - Lower density townhouses

      - Seniors facility

      - type of development layout options

      - waterfront developments

                  - pub

                  - Townhomes

                  - Lakefront condos

 

NOW IS THE TIME

We’ve got to start thinking about this. We are in a position to develop the community in the way that we want.

 

OUR CHALLENGE & OPPORTUNITY

-     Is to decide the future of our community

-     Provide direction to the DLC for our community

-     Be creative!

Our sector plan provides direction

 

I THINK WE CAN

-     Maintain rural/natural character

-     Ensure planned development that reflects community’s wants and needs

-     Explore the potential for expanded community amenities

-     By working together and exploring the options!!!

 

12.  LAND USE OPEN FOR DISCUSSION

Penny: Thinking more about how you want the community to be.

Joanne: the vision is already outlined in the OCP. It’s laid out in the existing patterns.

Penny: we would be saying this is what we want to do.

Like to see a more complete community. Tired of driving to get quart of milk. More community core could we be another Naramata? We have a strong arts community. Rich in human resources out here. Think that we can be a more connected community.

Penny: More sustainable community. There is so much human potential here.

John: We should be much more diversified than we are. We have lots of talent.  We should not restrict ourselves. Providing additional services is what we want.

Hanna: Gravel pit up in the hills. How long would CL road last with heavy traffic.

John: some of the conditions put on new development should be related to pollution, noise etc. ie asphalt plant problems. Is this the right place for those kinds of developments?

Joanne: Development must comply with environmental issues etc. When a development proposal comes in and has to go according to plans.

 

Carmen; Multi mix of different types of residential developments. Wide corridors , maintaining the areas as it is. Better usage of the lakefront for the benefit of the community.  In travels have seen complexes with little stores in them that fit in with the neighbourhood.

Flo: heard that there is a soccer field going in what about the lighting. Lighting will really damage the rural aspect.

Carmen: object to the visual pollution of power poles. Why do we have to live with them?

Sue: We’re being contradictory in the survey.

Chuck: that’s what we want to hear about

Brent: Do we have the power to change the land use zoning?

Chuck: we can recommend

Larry: adopted community plan for the district. This process will result in an amendment the OCP definitely.

Joanne: fair question. Are you happy with the land uses as they appear now?

Carmen: no

Brent: change the rural reserve to rural residential. Change it completely

Chuck: some suggestions from other groups that we try to lay down some very general guidelines that would be a test against some development. I.e. yes we would allow something as long as it maintains the rural character.

Why not change the land use designation.

Dave: great place for parks.

Brent: Change the zoning so that there cant be a problem

Carmen: should not be worried about a gravel pit going in. If we start regulating and start saying no to this and that then the costs would escalate. Why are we dealing with a rural reserve when we are trying to build a community here?

Are we trying to make it so that we have a varied group of people?

Mary: Majority of people that say they want a rural area. Are living on a 1/5th of an acre I’m living on many acres. If you want a rural area then would be wise to buy a big parcel of land and make own.

Penny: If we stay the way we are and keep adding rural subdivision. We will never have that community/social core. Would like to have a place where we can have some social gatherings, coffee etc.

 

Joanne: some groups say they want a store, other do not. Responses have been quite broad.

: Stronger sense of community with amenities.

Sue: I moved from larger centers to get away from that.

Derek: A store and community centre doesn’t have to be a detriment.

Hanna: don’t have to get into car and drive to get somewhere you can get together with your neighbours. To drive to Winfield is not a long way but would prefer not to have to drive out.

Rod: agree with making some of the zoning changes.

Gary, moved here to get away from the city problems.

Carmen: Do a lot of walking and I know they would enjoy being able to go to a store and pick up and meet up. Maki , Gable, Schaad like a community would it suit our area.

: Store at OK centre has been there since I’ve been a kid. The store has a place and respected by community. Same here would be good.

Dave: Have rental units upstairs make up. The store is going up for sale soon. Because not making a living on it.

Predator ridge will be putting in a large shopping centre.

John: Store in Ok Centre is a great asset. Store has run for 50 years.

Penny: Home based business issue?  More cable service or services to support the Home Based business aspect. Make sure that home-based business is encouraged.

Joanne: People were happy to support home based business as long as it didn’t cause problems such as parking, noise, pollution etc.

Penny: Group should talk to Home Based business coordinator to get input.

Larry F: The district just introduced Home Business bylaw last week. It’s loosening up on the home-based business bylaw control. It will be in the paper. What is council doing with the bylaw, something to watch for.

Penny: Do we more telephone lines,

Larry F: Prohibit great numbers of people from coming at once.

Each to comment about what is important to be reflected in the sector plan.

Chuck: Four meetings and from each there has been some feed back. Looking for more people to help in the process. If you could make some time to help us please call one of the group coordinators, numbers are at the beginning of these minutes.

 

Sue: thanks to the presenters.

 

Derek: When cutting the grass and road edge and making ditches, using a piece of equipment that is dragging behind and breaking up the road edge. Look at the driveways they are badly damaged.

 

Rod: More diversity in housing styles and structures.

 

Carmen: better land use planning. People becoming aware of our critical use of land. How we create rural sprawl instead of using land better. Cluster housing, amenities that are close enough to walk to. Integrated community.

Mike: I like community feel. Worry about what type of community and community centre. Wouldn’t want to see any big development. Land use main concern. Being new here I can see that things are going to be filled up here and we have to stay on top of it.

Phyllis: as we grow any changes to be subtle

: agree with that

Gary: use of the land private and public with out being polluted with spraying. Public health put above big business.

Alan: Agree with Gary agree with Carmen. More community centre. Fresh fruit wine.

Joanne:  another woman felt that there is a lack of community . People only coming part time. There wasn’t a strong sense of community.

Derek: we’re spread out a lot. We know each other and talk to each other as neighbours.

:Outside owners are not the majority

Mike:  couldn’t have picked better neighbours.  Would like a connection with the rest of the community.

: Important to notice the agri importance of the community. Farming is an industry. Comments about excessive spraying, he has not noticed.

Hanna: Make community more safe. Why are we making it about the money

Dean: Would like to have Carrs Landing widened so that children can walk on the road in safety.

Penny: would like their planning dept to learn about smart growth. A sustainable community. A centre focal point for our community is also part of smart growth. Things will develop from there. We have no focal point.

Noreen: Love to see a community center. Dances, meeting, go for coffee, dance hall. Doesn’t have to be commercial

Sue: Road, don’t want bigger and better. Should be a place on the road for walking, cycling. Can connect with neighbours along the way.

Terry: community centre of some sort. Have a hard look at land use and particularly what we don’t want.

Dean: Access to fire hydrant. Can we identify where they are. May be an issue to deal with.

John: We will grow whether we like it or not. Keep an idea about a vision. Vision to me means diversification. Want to improve road. Not at the expense of the property owner as much as possible.

: small market area, don’t like to go into Winfield all the time. Small market area and something done for road for children

Lorraine: same

Brent: New resident, low density recreation, low-density.

Joanne: great to see young faces at this meeting

Flo: like rural, don’t mind community centre as long as not near me. No stores no commercial things.

Dave: moved here because of rural aspect. Haven’t found a community factor lacking. Probably because so involved with sector plans, boating association.

Lance M: Community centre works well for areas. Like that idea. Wife would bring up jogging trails. Almost killed daily on the roads. Safety of the road.

Mary: Agree with Carmen development come in well organized and well planned.

People with small acres and lots, asking larger rural property owners to remain rural. Lets get an organized development project with walkways, greenspace. Do it equally for everybody.

 

Open house will be next spring

 

13.  ADJOURNMENT

 

Meeting be adjourned at 10:20pm